Friday 21 June 2013

In the Beginning

Another old photo today, and I'm combining two challenges.

Challenge #142 at Scrap Whispers is to combine a colour photo and a black and white photo on the page. I don't like printing new photos in black and white, but I have an old black and white photo of my husband and his colleagues on their first day at work. He's an accountant and five of them started their training contracts at the same time. The photo was an annual tradition for the new intake. I also unearthed a passport style photo from a similar time for the colour photo.

One of the prompts in June's Have I Got Scrap for You class at UKScrappers was to use a large photo. Niki's hints for coping with them include using a subtle background, using long, narrow embellishments and embellishing over an 'empty' part of the photo.

I know that people convert colour photos to black and white so that they can use any colour scheme they wish, but I had problems finding paper that didn't make my black and white photo fade away. With each paper that I tried, I felt like my attention was being drawn to the paper, not the photo. Ultimately my pallette was mostly grey, white and blue-grey, but I did add a couple of pastel paper strips to the edges.


Supplies
Paper - Echo Park Yours Truly, Fancy Pants Winterland, Crate Paper DIY Shop, plus Scraps
Letters - Anita'a Glitterations
Ink - Ink It Up!
Number Stickers - from Stash

Tools
American Crafts Open Scallop Border Punch
American Crafts Notebook Border Punch
Woodware Scalloped Circle Punch

1 comment:

  1. You've nailed it! I LOVE how the neutral papers make the photo stand out so well. Thanks for playing, and I'm glad that the little trip outside your comfort zone was successful!

    ReplyDelete