Tuesday 8 July 2014

"Starting Point" Pages

Starting Points are something that I first learned about from Shimelle Laine. She used to set challenges on her blog where she had started a page, with various papers in place, but not finished it with photos, title and embellishments. We would copy the starting point, but everyone finished the page off as they saw fit, with the number, size and positions of the photos varying from page to page.

I had decided to kill off my Basic Grey Plumeria collection, but I had no specific photos ready to scrap with it, so I've made a couple of 'starting points' which I will finish off at some point in the future. I've done this before with the last few bits from a collection and I have used all the ones I've made before, so I'm not worried about these part-finished pages cluttering up my scrap area for too long.

The first one just uses a few bits from my remaining papers. I had already fussy-cut but not used the two flower pieces and I imagined the trio of flowers and its 'ribbon' running below a row of photos. Although I have no idea exactly which photos I will scrap here, I have decided that they will run the full width of the page and probably be 3 4x6 portrait photos. I'll run the flower/ribbon piece below them and balance it with the scalloped border and the other flower above them. The photos will take up half the page so there won't be a lot of space for much else once I add a title and journalling.



My second starting point follows my normal strategy for finishing a collection - cut all the papers to rectangles and layer them up in a pleasing manner. However, I had a lot of scraps here, pieces too small or too irregular to cut into rectangles so I decided to punch lots of scalloped circles from these and run a row of them across the page. I still have some die-cuts and transparencies left from this collection so I used one of each, placing them on opposite sides of the page. I have a less fixed idea of the photos for this page, but I'm imagining either a single 4x6 landscape or a couple of smaller photos.



Finally, I had a quite a few punched circles left over so I used them with another transparency for a quick card:



And now I have absolutely no paper left. I still have a few more die-cuts and transparencies, but I've added them to the box where I keep embellishments that have reached the point of 'use it or lose it'.

Supplies
Cardstock - Bazzill, Color Set
Paper, Die-Cut, Transparencies - Basic Grey Plumeria
Ink - Ink It Up!
Mist - docrafts

Tools
American Crafts Simple Scallop Border Punch
Woodware Scalloped Circle Punch
Sewing Machine

No comments:

Post a Comment