Monday 27 April 2015

The Bude Light

After a brief detour, I'm returning to photos from our holiday in Devon, though for this page we'd crossed the border into Cornwall.

I had a single portrait photo of the Bude Light, and picked a challenge to suit it - this month's Twistback Thursday from Sketch-n-Scrap. It's made up of an archive sketch with a twist, and this time the twist is to use a mask.

I've already chosen to do my holiday pages on Dotted Swiss cardstock, and the embossed dots made working with a mask a bit tricky. My first attempt was a mess, so I used something simpler for the second, a plain circle which I used to surround the photo. Once my papers were in place, I ran my title around the circle and wrote my journalling on a tag.


The original Bude Light was a very bright oil lamp invented by Sir Goldsworthy Gurney and named after his home town. It worked by introducing oxygen to the centre of the burner, and they were used in lighthouses and the Houses of Parliament. This Bude Light was created as part of the millennium celebrations and the 30 foot concrete cone is lit up internally using fibre optics.

Supplies
Cardstock - Bazzill Dotted Swiss
Paper - 7 Dots Studio Illumination
Washi Tape - Papermania
Mist - Docrafts
Ink - Docrafts

Tools
Heidi Swapp Circle Mask
Big Shot & Sizzix Wallflower Alphabet Dies
X-Cut Small Circle Punch

7 comments:

  1. Love it! The photo really stands out! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great layout! Thanks for joining us at Sketch N Scrap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how nice and love the circle! That was a great idea! Great information on the Bude Light too. Thanks for playing along with Sketch N Scrap! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful layout!!!
    Thanks to joining us at Sketch N Scrap this month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you played along with my twistback challenge Amanda and love the masked circle with the title around it, looks great! The soft colours of the papers really let the photo shine (pun intended!). Thanks for joining in with us again at Sketch N Scrap. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fantastic! I love your story and I learned something plus your take on the sketch is great! very nice job! thanks for playing with us at Sketch N Scrap this month!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! You did an awesome job with the challenge. Thanks for sharing with Sketch-N-Scrap!

    ReplyDelete